Saturday, April 6, 2013

Photography

I've been busy the last few days creating new items for my DaiyLu Designs shop on etsy.  It's really weird how I can go through day after day trying to create a new piece and being unhappy with everything.  Then all of a sudden it's as though I get a breakthrough and I know exactly what I want to make and how to go about it.  Suddenly I'm happy with everything and want to just keep going, and going, and going....

The creating stuff part is usually fun (except when I'm blocked).  Photographing the items part has been a bit of a challenge for me.  I have struggled over the past 9 months with taking photos that I'm happy with.  I know how I want things to look in the photo, I just couldn't seem to do it.  I did what I always do when faced with a challenge:  I read what other people do!

Turns out that little setting wheel on my digital camera means something.   For instance, I found out that the little flower icon is the "macro" setting that is good for taking close up photos of small items (like jewelry!).  Let me tell you, it really works!  Using the macro means getting really good, sharp detail in the photo, which is really what I'm after.

I tried also using a tripod, but I felt too restricted with it.  I was having  trouble getting shots from the angles I wanted with it.  I decided to try just holding the camera, but of course, sometimes that results in some camera movement when the button is pressed.  I have found that by holding my breath when I take the shot, I don't have near the problems with moving. 

Finally, I have played around with different photo editing software to clean up the photos.  Photos are so vulnerable to lighting conditions that it helps to have a program that can transform your photo to look like it did when you took the photo and not like some odd, yellowish colored thing that makes the colors look like mud.  I tried photo shop and that was okay.  Someone online suggested Gimp, which is a free software package (that is complicated as all get out!) that is darn good.  I have to look at the instructions a lot, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. 

Anyway, I think my photos are getting better.  See what you think:


DaisyLu Designs has new items on the way!  Come on over and check them out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please leave your comments and questions here.