Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How to make a Facebook Cover


I just learned how to do something new and want to share my new skill!


As you know, many of us small business people have special pages on Facebook to get exposure for our business.  As you also probably know, Facebook has these new-fangled things called "covers" that are an opportunity to kind of dress up your page.  Up until today, I had a Facebook cover for my DaisyLu Design Facebook page, but it looked kind of, well, sad.

Until today!  I finally got it all figured out!  I knew what I wanted my  "cover" to look like, I just didn't know how to make it happen!  Today was the day!  So how did I do it?

First, I went to my photos on my etsy page, DaisyLu Designs and selected one of my better photos.  I downloaded it to my computer (I'm on a different computer than usual today).  Then I went over to pixlr.com to do some adjusting to my photo.  Pixlr is an awesome online photo editing program that you can use for free.  I'm not very experienced with it, but I found it pretty easy to navigate in no time at all.

Once in pixlr.com, I uploaded the photo I had selected and then selected the "Adjustment" option at the bottom of the screen.  Then another menu pops up and I selected the "resize" option.







Next I put in the dimensions needed for the Facebook Cover to fit correctly on my FB page, which is 851 x 315 pixels.  It is important to click the box "Keep proportion" so that the "0" is showing, otherwise, it will proportion your photo and won't keep the values you enter.  Once you're done, be sure to click "apply".


So now I had my background for my cover.  But I also wanted to put the name of my shop on the cover.  There are options in pixlr to put text on your photo, but I wanted to use the banner I've been using in my online shop.  To make my banner, I went to another great website, Etsy Shop Banner Generator .  This site is so easy to use it doesn't even need explanation!  Go to the site, choose the banner you want, fill in the text and save to your computer.  Easy peasy!

I decided I wanted to add my etsy banner over the photo, so next I clicked on the "add image" button.   This brings up a small menu with a "browse" button so I went back to my computer and uploaded the etsy banner that was saved as a .png file.  This brought up the banner and then I could move it around until I was happy with the placement.  Finally, I clicked on the "save" button, saved the new photo image to my computer and was ready to go!


The last step was the easiest part!  I went to my Facebook page, click on the "change cover" button and uploaded my new cover.  Voila!  A much prettier cover!  Now that I know how to do it, I will probably play around with different images a lot more often.


I'd love to hear what you think of the cover or these instructions (or both!)



DaisyLu Designs has some beautiful new items available!  Be sure to visit and find something special!



1 comment:

Thanks for reading! Please leave your comments and questions here.