Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Do what you love, and the money will follow

I have to say that I have often heard the adage "Do what you love and the money will follow."  I have built a career in Psychology, first by going to graduate school, earning a PhD and then teaching or researching, whatever is needed.   While I really like psychology and doing research, I'm not sure that it is my "passion" so to speak.  It's a fascinating topic and I love talking about it, but, well, you know.

For a long time I thought that "thrifting" was my passion.  I do enjoy reading articles on saving money and trying to find ways to pinch pennies.  I subscribe to blogs and email newsletters about thrifting.  I even have EVERY SINGLE ISSUE of the Tightwad Gazette, the newsletter published for a few years by Amy Daycyzyn, the "tightwad" from Maine who made enough money to have a healthy nest egg and retired from publishing her newsletter (God I still miss Amy!)  Anyway, I really like thrifting and talking about it, but there are plenty of people out there who write very good newsletters and books on it and frankly, I'd rather read about it than write a book on it.

A few years back I re-discovered crochet.  I started crocheting a lot when my son was involved in Bible Quizzing.  I could take a project to the all-day events and crochet to stay busy but not miss hearing what was going on with the kids' answers.  First I finished an afghan I had started years earlier, then I moved on to baby blankets and started giving them away.  I made hats while I watched TV and even made a few pillows and ponchos for gifts and for a school auction.

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I recently took a cut in my hours at work.  This led me to start looking for work to replace it, but I started thinking about crocheting items and maybe making some earrings and selling them on Etsy.  Seemed like a good way to fill my time while I looked for my "real" job, right?

Well, I had no idea that I had just discovered my passion!  I still do a lot of the crocheting, but honestly I think the jewelry is what gives me the most enjoyment.  I can get lost in making jewelry for hours at a time and look up and wonder where the time has gone!  I love learning new techniques and experimenting.  Even when I mess things up, I honestly don't mind very much.  If something I make doesn't turn out the way I wanted it to, I just take it apart and start over.

I also love learning new things.  Recently I learned how to tie slip knots that are adjustable, so I made some really cute bracelets and posted them for sale on my Etsy site.  Here's one of them:


 

Click here to see this bracelet at DaisyLu Designs!
Yesterday I watched some videos on how to make wire hearts.  I thought they looked really cool, so I decided to give it a try today.  Learning always takes a few tries, so I kept the practice hearts to see if I was improving.  I think I did, but you, dear reader, can decide from the photo below:



I think I'm getting better at making them, but they're not "quite there" yet.  That's okay, I had a great time practicing!  

Anyway, I'm doing something I really love doing....hopefully the money will follow!


Come on over to DaisyLu Designs to see the fabulous 
items for sale there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please leave your comments and questions here.