Saturday, September 11, 2010

Never forget...

Where were you on September 11, 2001?  I remember where I was.  I live on the West coast so it was about 7:30 am when my husband called and said "turn on the television.  We're being bombed."  I turned on CNN and there were pictures of Towers 1 and 2 and the pentagon in flames.  Everything had happened by then so it looked like it was happening all at once to me, in my just awake state.  I freaked out.  Literally.  I started screaming.  I thought militia would be busting into our home any minute and kill us all.  I remember forcing myself to pull it together because I needed to get my son ready for school and I didn't want him to be afraid.  I remember crying off and on all day.  It was a terrible, terrible day.

Nine years later we are remembering what happened on that terrible day and honoring those who lost their lives for no good reason.  It is important to remember that we are no invinceable--we are open to attack and we need to be vigilent to protect our country and its citizens. 

While it is important to remember and learn how to prevent this from happening again, it is just as important not to blame an entire group of people who had nothing to do with what happened.  This attack was done in ostensibly in the name of Islam, but it was a very radical and misguided group who did this.  I know many muslim people both American and international.  None of them would ever advocate such acts of violence or any acts of violence.  They are very peaceful people and feel ashamed about what happened.

I just pray that we can keep our heads straight and mourn the dead but not create more problem in an attempt to avenge those deaths.  God bless us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please leave your comments and questions here.