Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lack of planning on your part...

Ahhh a day in the life of...me.  The day started off interesting.  My son got up late and asked if he could get a ride to school because his alarm clock didn't go off.  Interesting how it's never "I forgot to set my alarm,"  it's "my alarm clock didn't go off" as though this inanimate object decided it didn't want to do what it was supposed to.  Anyway, he asked if he could get a ride.  I said yes, but that I would not be leaving until 7:30.  He needed to leave right away to get there on time.  I said I would not leave until 7:30.  I didn't see why I should have to rush just because his alarm clock was not cooperating.  (yes, I'm smirking)

Anyway, 10 minutes later my son is standing in the kitchen clearly annoyed because I'm not moving fast enough for him and he's going to be late.  I made some comment to the effect of "don't you stand there with that look on your face."  This kid then explodes says, " f--- it, I'm just going to walk."  I can't remember what else he said but he definitely implied that it was my fault that he was late.  I, being the mother, said "don't you talk to me like that!" and "it's not my fault you're late".  I'm so original.

So, I feel bad that he was late and having a tough morning, but I also feel bad that I didn't just ignore his face making attempts to manipulate me.  We did talk about it this afternoon and he apologized, but I suspect he still didn't quite "get" that just because he is late doesn't make it everyone else's problem.  I'm sure I'll have more opportunities to get it right next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please leave your comments and questions here.